Conservation of the Historic Environment
The team currently has two development officers responsible for ensuring the preservation and enhancement of the Borough’s character and local distinctiveness, through the conservation of historic buildings and places. Both officers (whose profiles can be seen here) have considerable experience of promoting the conservation of the historic environment within local authority planning.
They provide specialist advice on heritage-related planning matters at policy, development management and implementation stages to ensure compliance with legislation, national planning guidance and local development plan policies and guidance.
Their other functions include:
- Encouraging the appreciation and enjoyment of the historic environment;
- Input into the development management decision-making process on listed building consent and planning applications affecting heritage assets and their settings, including the design of new developments within historic contexts;
- Providing advice on the repair and maintenance of historic buildings and encouraging the retention and sensitive repair of historic buildings using traditional techniques and building materials;
- Securing the reuse of redundant historic buildings;
- Identifying heritage assets for potential inclusion on statutory or local lists of heritage assets;
- Preparing design guidance to assist property owners and developers when dealing with matters affecting the historic built environment;
- The designation of new conservation areas and review of existing ones;
- The preparation of conservation area appraisals;
- The implementation of conservation area management proposals including the making of article 4(1) directions to bring permitted development rights under planning control in conservation areas, where minor development would result in harm to their special interest;
- Providing advice and appearing as expert witnesses at planning appeals, planning enforcement matters and court proceedings in matters involving heritage assets; and
- Advising on heritage implications of Local Plan site allocations and major infrastructure projects.