Skip to content Skip to main menu Skip to utility menu


SMBC colour
NHS Birmingham and Solihull

We want Solihull children and young people to be healthy. Healthy children grow into healthy adults and healthy adults have better outcomes.

All children and young people are able to access what is referred to as ‘universal services’ – these are services that most people will be familiar with and they are often most people’s first point of contact.  Universal services include Health Visitors, School Nurses, Doctors, Dentists, Opticians, Pharmacists and Hospitals.

If however your child has health needs that can’t be met by universal services, then they will be referred to services that provide the expertise to meet their health needs. These services are often specialist in nature. Children often use a combination of services to ensure all their health needs are met.

The Designated Clinical Officer (DCO) and Designated Medical Officer (DCO)

The Designated Clinical Officer (DCO) and Designated Medical Officer (DCO) support the clinical commissioning group (CCG) to undertake their statutory responsibilities for children and young people with SEN or disability in relation to the Code of Practice.

They provide a point of contact for local authorities, schools and colleges seeking health advice on children and young people who may have SEN or disabilities.

The DMO and DCO have an appropriate level of clinical expertise in addition to knowledge of the local health system and services.

Personal Health Budgets

If you or your child has NHS funded complex healthcare needs, you can ask the NHS for a personal health budget. This is an amount of money from the NHS, which patients agree with their nurse to spend on their health needs. The aim is to give people more choice and control over their healthcare to increase their independence.

Health – what to do if you are concerned about a health service you have received

If you have questions or concerns about the care you have received speak to the health professional involved or their manager in the first instance.

If your query remains unresolved you can contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), who can provide support, advice and information to help you.

If you are worried about the care you have received, you can make a complaint.

Enquiries are dealt with by the organisation that employs the health professional.

Please follow the relevant link below:

For health visiting and school nursing services:

For other Children and Young People community health services:


Healthwatch Solihull

Healthwatch Solihull is the local champion for health and social care. They are independent and are not part of NHS or care services. They:

  • Answer questions about local NHS and care services
  • Link to the Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS), supporting those making a complaint about NHS services
  • Gather information about what people think about NHS and care services to influence the planning and delivery of services.

Contact Healthwatch Solihull:

Healthwatch Solihull
Enterprise Centre,
1 Hedingham Grove,
Chelmunds Cross,
Chelmsley Wood,
Solihull, B37 7TP

Telephone: 03301 227453
Freephone: 0800 470 1518

Health Services Structure Charts

Health services can be confusing. There are commissioners who ‘buy the services’ and health providers who ‘deliver the services’.

The chart below shows health services for Children and Young People in Solihull. Across the top of the chart are the commissioners – NHS England, Solihull MBC (Public health) and the Birmingham & Solihull Clinical Commissioning Group (BSol CCG)

The boxes underneath show the health services which are provided. Further information as to the purpose of these services and what they can provide is outlined under the service headings on the local offer.

Health Services for Children Solihull