Skip to content Skip to main menu Skip to utility menu

What to do if you are concerned your child may have autism

Any concerns you as a parent/carer have regarding your child having autism should be discussed initially with your child’s teacher and where concerns have been on-going, with the school’s Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) and Lead for Autism. The school should, where progress is limited in areas such as social communication, social interaction, information and sensory processing:

  • put into place a relevant, targeted, evidence-based intervention
  • Monitor your son/daughter’s progress closely.

Progress should be reviewed regularly and adaptations to the programme of support made as appropriate, parents/carers should be closely involved in this process.

Should the difficulties persist the school may wish, supported by the Leads for Autism/ School Senco and or Specialist Services complete a referral to the Specialist Assessment Service

Autism Team levels of intervention