Communication and Learning Difficulties Team Parent Information
1. Who are the CLD team?
The CLD team are one of the two traded teams of the Specialist Inclusion Support Service (SISS) provided by the local authority in Solihull. As a traded service, schools can choose to buy the services of the CLD team with their delegated funding for children with special educational needs and disabilities. Each subscribing school is allocated a ‘named’ teacher. The school decides on the amount of support they buy from the team.
The CLD team comprises experienced specialist teachers. They have additional training and qualifications and have worked in a variety of roles in both primary and secondary schools.
2. What do we do?
In-service training for school staff
The team provides a wide range of training packages for teachers and support staff. These include, for example:
- training on identifying various learning difficulties (e.g. dyslexia; dyspraxia; speech, language and communication needs etc.)
- how to provide appropriate support in the classroom, in small groups and to individuals with SEND.
- advice clinics for teachers and support staff to discuss individuals/groups of children.
Services for pupils
Schools refer individual pupils on SEN support or with an Education, Health and Care Plan to the CLD team. Parents are not able to refer their child directly to the team, as it is traded. We currently offer:
- Assessments and observations – both formal and informal – in order to establish a child’s strengths and any areas of difficulty. Written reports are usually provided for the school and parent/carer, which discuss any findings and provide advice and recommendations to the school to meet the child’s needs.
- Specialist teaching – either individually or in a small group
Pupils and young people can only be seen by a CLD specialist teacher once consent has been obtained from the parent/carer.
3. How can I find out more about the CLD team?
Talk to the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at your child’s school. Ask if they subscribe to our service. If the school does not choose to buy in the services of the SISS CLD team, they may use an alternative provider.