Making a referral to the TAC Panel
When making a referral to the TAC Panel information must be provided to evidence that a child has a significant delay in at least three areas of their development. For the TAC Panel a significant delay is defined as: 0 – 2 years – 6 months; 2 – 3 years 6 – 12 months; 3+ – school entry 12 months.
The evidence required for all referrals is:
- A completed TAC Referral Form which is signed by all professionals as detailed on the form
- Signed Parental Consent Form
- Multidisciplinary Assessment Tool (MAT) completed and validated by healthcare/early years professionals
- Supporting information where available e.g. Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQ) data, observational tool (example provided)
When the child is attending an Early Years setting additional evidence is required:
- Evidence that there has been consultation with the Area SENCo from the Early Years Support and assessment Team (EYSAT). The Area SENCo should sign the referral form and support the completion of the MAT.
- Evidence should be provided of the Graduated Approach at SEN Support and outcomes from the reasonable adjustments put in place.
Referrals should be sent to: SISS Admin Office, Elmwood Place, 37 Burtons Way, Smiths Wood B36 0UG
For each TAC assessment a Keyworker will be allocated. They will collate all assessment information and ensure it is returned to Panel within the timescales given.
Assessment of need carried out will depend on referral information and services already involved, the child’s needs and whether they are attending an educational setting. Each assessment will make recommendations about adaptations to support, interventions that need to be put in place and advise of any other services that need to be involved in the TAC.
When the TAC assessment of need returns to the TAC Panel, a new Keyworker may be allocated, depending on the assessment advice. Where a child’s needs are assessed as not meeting TAC criteria, the child will be closed to TAC and recommendations made regarding future support.
The Keyworker will be responsible for coordinating SEN Support for the child until they enter school. Their role will be to ensure the Graduated Approach is followed and outcomes are monitored. Where a change in provision is advised at a TAC review meeting, the child will return to Panel.
TAC panel Reviews
When a keyworker returns a child to TAC Panel due to a recommended change in provision, they should provide the Panel with the following documentation:
- TAC Panel Review Form
- The child’s ‘My Support Plan’
- Meetings of TAC meeting where a TAC Panel review was advised
- Evidence for change in provision
Where the TAC Panel agrees the change in provision the following processes are agreed:
- The Specialist Assessment Service (SAS) Panel will accept the TAC referral and documentation without further paperwork needing to be submitted.
- The EHCP Service Panel for agreeing an EHC assessment will accept the documentation and evidence from the TAC Panel.
- The referral will be accepted by the EHCP Service Panel looking at specialist nursery placement.
- Early Years Inclusion Fund 2 – High Needs decisions will be made through this process without requiring any further paperwork.