Skip to content Skip to main menu Skip to utility menu

Educational Psychology Service (EPS)

Solihull Educational Psychology Service is part of the Children and Young People’s SEND 0-25 Service provided by Solihull Council.

What we do

Psychology is about the relationship between thoughts, feelings and behaviour.

We work to improve outcomes for vulnerable children and young people.

We promote lifelong development, emotional well-being and satisfying lives for children, young people and their families.

We work with:

  • individuals from birth to 25 years, groups of children and young people and their parents or carers
  • educational establishments and adults who care for and educate children and young people
  • professionals and practitioners

We provide the following services:

Solihull is providing an Educational Psychology service for:

  1. Statutory work (work we are legally required to do). This all comes through the Statutory Assessment and Review Team
  2. Traded work (work that Schools buy in as they feel it would be helpful)

How to access the service

If you are concerned about your child’s learning at home or school, your first step should be to contact your child’s teachers. Some schools may have additionally qualified staff for pastoral and special educational needs. Some schools may be employing the services of an independent Chartered Educational Psychologist.

If your child is presenting with significant and complex needs Solihull Council SEND  0-25 Service will provide access to an Educational Psychologist as part of:

  • New Education, Health and Care Plans – an Educational Psychologist must provide psychological assessment and advice towards the statutory assessment for children and young people 0-25 years.
  • Conversions from Statements to Education, Health and Care Plans – an Educational Psychologist should provide psychological assessment and advice towards the statutory assessment for children and young people 0-25 years.
  • SEND Mediation – An Educational Psychologist should provide independent professional advice to inform the decision making process
  • SEND Tribunals – An Educational Psychologist must provide independent professional advice to inform the Tribunal decisions.

Chartered Psychologists in the West Midlands

if you are seeking the services of an Educational Psychologist over and above the current Local Authority offer, the British Psychological Society provides a directory of Chartered Psychologists. The directory allows you to search for services close to home or for certain psychological specialisms.

The British Psychological Society and its members develop, promote and apply psychology for the public good. They enhance the efficiency and usefulness of psychologists by setting high standards of professional education and knowledge. We cover all areas of psychological research and practice.

The BPS states that psychologists do not have to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) in order to advertise in this Directory. You must therefore also ensure that the EP is registered with the HCPC and has enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance. You can check whether individual Educational Psychologists are registered on the HCPC website.