Skip to content Skip to main menu Skip to utility menu

Children’s Disability Register

What is the Children’s disability register?

The Children’s Disability Register is a confidential list of names and basic information about children with disabilities, special or additional needs.

Solihull Council have a Children’s Disability Register as The Children Act 1989 required all local authorities to establish a register of children with a disability in their area. This will then be used to assist service planning to meet the needs of children with disabilities and their families. Children’s names are added to the register at their parent’s request.

The information held on the register is confidential and stored on our secure database which will only be shared with workers from social care, education and health.

Does my child have to be included?

No, Inclusion on the register is voluntary. You can request for your child to be removed from the register at any time.

Will it affect entitlement to services?

No, access to services are dependent on assessed needs, not inclusion on the Register.

The Children’s Disability Register is not linked to any other registers or records held by the local authority, including the Child Protection Register of children about whom there are concerns.

Should my child be on the register?

Your child qualifies for inclusion if they meet all the following:

  • live in Solihull or be the responsibility of Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council
  • be aged 0 to 18 or be receiving education at school
  • have a physical or mental impairment which is likely to have a substantial and long term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day to day activities.

They may be children who need help with the following:

  • intellectual development of learning;
  • communication;
  • personal and self care;
  • hearing and vision;
  • mobility;
  • special treatment such as dialysis or medication;
  • independence appropriate for age, gender, cultural, religious or social circumstances.

What happens next?

Please complete the registration form, and send it to the Family Information Service, Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council, Council House, Manor Square, Solihull, B92 7QB.