Below is Our Promise to Children and Young People Who Are in Our Care and Care Leavers:
This is what you can expect from us whilst you are in our care and when you have left care:
We will do our best to make sure that:-
• You know what you can expect from your workers and carers
• You have a say about your care
• You have the help and support you need to help you work towards what you want out of life
• You can keep in touch with the people who are important to you
• You feel cared about
When you have left care we will respect your choices making sure you have support, if you want it, until you are 21 years old. (This can be up to 25 years old if you want to pursue a programme of education or training). Where possible we will try to offer you a second chance when things have gone wrong.
You know what you can expect from your workers and carers:-
• Keep you updated about things, checking out that you understand what is happening to you and why.
• Be honest, and do what we say we will do, explaining why if something can’t be done.
• Aim to respond to any messages from you within 1 working day (or someone else will).
• Give you realistic choices about your care where possible (such as where you meet up with your worker, placements, Reviews etc.).
• Not share personal information with people who do not need to know.
• Plan any change of worker carefully whilst supporting and involving you in this.
• Deal with your worries quickly.
You have a say about your care
• Listen to your views, wishes and feelings and make sure these are considered in all decisions.
• Try to do something about what you tell us (where possible). Where we disagree we will make sure you understand reasons why.
• Make sure you are involved in your Reviews as much as you want to be.
• Make sure you have an Advocate if and when you want one.
• Acknowledge when you have left our care that you may want little or no contact with us… but we will still be there for you if you need us.
• Give you the chance to meet with people making decisions that affect you.
You have the help and support you need to help you work towards what you want out of life
• Receive a good education and be supported to help you make decisions about your future.
• Be advised and supported to help you achieve qualifications and progress in the career you want and aspire to.
• Be able to take part in clubs and activities that you are interested in.
• Be supported to know about available services, how to get in touch with them, and, what you can expect from them.
• Have the help and support you need, so you can learn by your mistakes, being given further chances when needed.
You can keep in touch with the people who are important to you. Where it is in your best interests, and safe to do so
• Live close to your family and friends.
• Be supported to keep in touch and maintain relationships with the people who are important to you.
• Be able to keep in touch with professionals or carers involved in your care where possible.
• Have choices about how to keep in touch with people important to you, including workers and carers.
You feel cared about
• Respect you as an individual (including your background, religion and culture).
• Believe in you and celebrate your achievements.
• Do our best to meet your needs and make you feel happy.
• Try and help you have stability where you live.
• Be a champion for you and fight your corner.
• Ensure you are well cared for and cared about.
• Be treated like other children and young people wherever possible.
You can find our Promise, and other information for looked after young people and care leavers, on our website getitsorted.me
Please click on the link below: